I hosted my book club earlier this week and served food with a 4th of July theme. It was fun coming up with different picnic foods and I picked things that I could make ahead. I discovered this dessert that’s perfect for a 4th of July meal. It looks great and tastes even better.
I didn’t make my own angel food cake for this dessert. I took the easy way and bought cakes from our grocery store bakery. They were only 10 oz cakes, so I used one and a half. I almost think I could have used all of both cakes. I love the angel food cake part of this trifle.
What’s better than a trifle for showing off your colorful ingredients? I was so excited to make this as I’ve made very few trifles, even though I think they are so fun to serve. And I was excited to get my trifle bowl out of its box!!
The most time-consuming part of this is cutting the strawberries and preparing the angel food cake. The cream cheese filling mixes up very quickly, especially now that I have a new KitchenAid mixer. I honestly don’t know how I made it all these years without one. I can’t believe how much faster I can mix things now. It’s great!!
Make sure you get enough of each ingredient towards the outside of the trifle dish, so you can see all the colors. You may have to push the cream cheese filling down in order to achieve the right look.
I got rave reviews on this. Everyone left that night with a copy of the recipe!! They said I had to put it in my blog.
I also made a great pulled BBQ chicken, which I will also share in the near future.
4th of July Patriotic Berry Trifle
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. lemon juice
- 1/4 c. water
- 1/4 t. almond extract
- 1 14 oz. angel food cake
Cream Cheese Filling
- 16 oz. cream cheese
- 2/3 c. sugar
- 2 c. heavy whipping cream
- 4 c. blueberries
- 4 c. sliced strawberries
Lemon Glaze/Angel Food Cake
- Whisk together sugar, lemon juice, and water in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Continue stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Once sugar is dissolved, remove from heat and whisk in the almond extract. Set aside.
- Cut angel food cake into 1 inch thick slices.
- Brush lemon glaze on each side of the sliced cake.
- Cut the glazed cake into 1 inch cubes. Set aside.
Cream Cheese Filling
- Beat together cream cheese and sugar with a mixer, on medium speed, until smooth.
- Add heavy whipping cream and beat until light and fluffy.
Assembling the Trifle
- Arrange half of the cake on the bottom of a trifle dish.
- Sprinkle on an even layer of blueberries.
- Spread half of the cream cheese mixture over the blueberries.
- Top with a layer of strawberries.
- Repeat layers and top with any remaining berries.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate before serving.